19 Apr Investing in our Child Care Sector
As Liberals, we believe investing in education in Nova Scotia means supporting our children and students to be successful. To support our children to be successful, we need to support their families and we need to support the regulated child care sector.
Families across the province want quality regulated child care that is affordable, accessible and inclusive. Operators want investments in their sector to help them achieve these goals. Over the last several months we have announced investments to do just this:
- We have made changes to the Child Care Subsidy so more families can benefit.
- We increased our annual inclusion grant to $8.8-million annually and offered a one-time, $2-million grant to create inclusive play spaces.
- We have increased investments in professional development and training for staff in regulated child care because we know this is the key to quality.
- We are investing almost $7-million to create up to 1,000 new regulated child care spaces across the sector.
- We have prioritized infant care through an infant incentive that will offset the cost for operators when opening spaces for infants. This is a cost that won’t be passed on to families.
- And we recently announced a one-time, $2-million space conversion grant to support existing centres across the province to repurpose their space or buy equipment and materials, to meet the evolving child care needs of their communities.
Your Liberal government has invested in 51 centres across the province through space conversion grants. The interest from the sector in this grant was so overwhelming, we have increased funding to $2.7-million toward more projects.
The space conversion grant is another step toward growing and evolving an early year’s system that supports children from infanthood into school.
We know that every investment in our children is an investment in our future, and your Liberal government is committed to working with Nova Scotia’s childcare sector to ensure our children have every chance at a successful start in life.